By Karl Moller
An research of the literary constitution and rhetorical problem that triggered the creation of the booklet of Amos. Moller argues that the booklet captures and offers the talk among Amos and his 8th-century viewers. while learn within the gentle of Israel's fall, the presentation of Amos suffering (and failing) to persuade his contemporaries of the upcoming divine punishment capabilities as a strong caution to next Judean readers.
Read or Download (A) Prophet in Debate: The Rhetoric of Persuasion in the Book of Amos (JSOT Supplement Series) PDF
Similar rhetoric books
Книга the hot Oxford consultant to Writing the hot Oxford consultant to Writing Книги Иностранные языки Автор: Thomas S. Kane Год издания: 1994 Формат: pdf Издат. :Oxford college Press, united states Страниц: 336 Размер: 2 ISBN: 0195090594 Язык: Английский0 (голосов: zero) Оценка:Many books on writing inform you how one can imagine extra creatively, how you can conjure up an idea from scratch.
Aristotle considered his common sense and technique as purposes of the Socratic wondering process. particularly, good judgment was once initially a research of solutions necessitated by means of past solutions. For Aristotle, thought-experiments have been actual experiments within the experience that through understanding types in one's brain, you could learn off their homes and interrelations.
Because its early heritage in Greek tradition, conventional rhetorical research has concentrated totally on persuasive language utilized in the general public sphere. there was little learn, although, of what Jean Nienkamp calls inner rhetoric, which “occurs among one point of the self and one other” inside of one’s brain.
In unique essays, fourteen nationally identified students research the sensible, philosophical, and epistemological implications of a number of examine traditions. incorporated are discussions of old, theoretical, and feminist scholarship; case-study and ethnographic examine; textual content and dialog research; and cognitive, experimental, and descriptive study.
- Symbol, Story, and Ceremony: Using Metaphor in Individual and Family Therapy
- Working More Creatively with Groups
- Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose (Second Edition)
- The student's guide to preparing dissertations and theses
- Rhetoric and Philosophy in Conflict: An Historical Survey
- The Art of Argument: A Guide to Mooting (Law in Context S.)
Extra info for (A) Prophet in Debate: The Rhetoric of Persuasion in the Book of Amos (JSOT Supplement Series)
White, 'The Value of Speech Act Theory for Old Testament Hermeneutics', pp. 41-63; D. Patte, 'Speech Act Theory and Biblical Exegesis', pp. J. Buss, 'Potential and Actual Interactions Between Speech Act Theory and Biblical Studies', pp. 125-34. G. N. J. H. J. Brill, 1991), pp. 129-42; and A. Wagner, Sprechakte und Sprechaktanalyse im Alien Testament: Untersuchungen im biblischen Hebrdisch an der Nahtstelle zwischen Handlungsebene und Grammatik(EZAW, 253; Berlin: W. de Gruyter, 1997). The theory has been applied to a number of effects.
Alter, The Art of Biblical Narrative (New York: Basic Books, 1981); (see also idem, The Art of Biblical Poetry [New York: Basic Books, 1985]; and idem, The World of Biblical Literature [London: SPCK, 1992]); and Sternberg, Poetics. 118. R. Alter, 'Introduction to the Old Testament', in idem and F. ), The Literary Guide to the Bible (London: Fontana, 1987), pp. 11-35(15). 119. Wuellner, 'Rhetorical Criticism', p. 452. He also, for the same reasons, criticizes the approach of L. Alonso Schokel, The Inspired Word: Scripture in the Light of Language and Literature (New York: Herder & Herder, 1965).
177. 133. Green, 'Discourse Analysis', p. 177. 32 A Prophet in Debate getting a message across and the active participation of readers in the communicative process. The former has been placed at the centre of rhetorical-critical interest by Bitzer, as we have seen above. However, it is given much attention also by advocates of discourse analysis such as Green or Callow, who promotes what he calls a 'semantically or cognitively oriented theory'. g. 138 They clearly demonstrate a close affinity with rhetorical-critical concerns.